Virtual contests improvements(free problems side)

This is the place where you should ask for those features you would like to see on the COJ, or to suggest te ways in which we can improve our service. Every contribution is valuable, don't be afraid to make yours!
gmo

Virtual contests improvements(free problems side)

Post by gmo » 6 years ago

hi, i just recently tried the free problems template of the virtual contests and it worked like a charm, however there's something that would make them better:

1.if the creator deletes the contest before it starts delete it from the other contestants list.
Reason: making mistakes on the setup is hell.. i had to track down every single contestant to make them erase the contest
because creating a new properly configured one yielded "at least another user has a contest" (or something like that). and of course not mentioning that every try to make the setup means going trought a huge list of users/problems. (luckily typing the username on the select box was kinda of a shorcut)

2. filters on the user/problems list
Reason: as stated above, the list is huge.
country->school filter on the user list.
points/the new problem category on the problem list.

3. don't count a finished contest as "having a contest"
Triying to make a new contest with the same users means hunting them to erase the past one.. or else "at least another user has a contest" pops up.

4. make possible the abilty to edit the contest once created (of course before it starts)
trying to add/remove a user/problem after the contest was created means:
delete the contest and do it again or simply leave it untouched and say sorry to the user/notifify dont solve "x" problem, etc, etc...

this were the main inconvenients on making a virtual contest (that i remember) and maybe the most frustating thing is the "at least another user has a contest"
hope you look at it.

thanks!

george

Re: Virtual contests improvements(free problems side)

Post by george » 6 years ago

hi, i just recently tried the free problems template of the virtual contests and it worked like a charm
Thanks for that, we put our best to offer a service as good as possible
1.if the creator deletes the contest before it starts delete it from the other contestants list.
Reason: making mistakes on the setup is hell.. i had to track down every single contestant to make them erase the contest
because creating a new properly configured one yielded "at least another user has a contest" (or something like that). and of course not mentioning that every try to make the setup means going trought a huge list of users/problems. (luckily typing the username on the select box was kinda of a shorcut)
We will take that into account for the next release, i do notice that its a bit anoying.
filters on the user/problems list
Reason: as stated above, the list is huge.
country->school filter on the user list.
points/the new problem category on the problem list.
this is a really interest idea, we will also look into that.
don't count a finished contest as "having a contest"
Triying to make a new contest with the same users means hunting them to erase the past one.. or else "at least another user has a contest" pops up.
Well this is a bit more complicated, since this version of the practice contest only allows users to have 1 contest on its personal list no matter the state(com,run,past), if a finished contest isn't count as having a contest all the data the user has could be lost and maybe the user is not OK with that.

make possible the abilty to edit the contest once created (of course before it starts)
trying to add/remove a user/problem after the contest was created means:
delete the contest and do it again or simply leave it untouched and say sorry to the user/notifify dont solve "x" problem, etc, etc...
Since this module is not aim to provide the users with administrative functions over the resources it is really difficult to acomplish that. Off course we understand that it is desire to have as many flexibilities as posible in order to avoid inconvinients. For sure, we will look into this, to make your lifes easier.

thanks for your comments, we really appreciate ....

Aliraza03

Re: Virtual contests improvements(free problems side)

Post by Aliraza03 » 5 years ago

You could always leave it public an invite them to join the contest.
ali

Return to “Suggestions”