COJ v 3.8.0 (now with microblogging)

Here the administration and development teams will publish the announcements related to the COJ. Make sure to come back often, and to comment your thoughts on them.
jasoria

COJ v 3.8.0 (now with microblogging)

Post by jasoria » 4 years ago

Good news, everyone!
a few days ago we released COJ v 3.8.0. It brought many bugfixes and eliminated unused code. It also brought some new functionality into the system, like the possibility of adding avatars to user profiles, some experimental visual improvements (owing to us introducing Bootstrap 3.0 + Font Awesome) and the new microblogging module.
Let's talk a little more about this microblogging thing.

Why is it so basic?
The idea behind the blogging subsystem was, in principle, to give each user a personal page to write their thoughts in, akin to a Facebook wall. However, due to non technical issues with our hosting this was not possible. Instead we settle for a more direct and brief approach, where an user has a limited amount of characters to input an idea for others to read. We scrapped the old module and implemented this new one with quite a few less options than what was planned in the beginning.

Where can I see these entries?
Entries are ordered chronologically in the Home page of COJ, and can be viewed publicly. However, as soon as an user logs in, these entries disappear. Why? because the user Home page only shows entries of user you are following. When you are seeing entries from users you follow, it is also possible to upvote and downvote them.

How can I write one?
In the textbox available to logged users, they can write whatever they please as long as it is not politically partisan, commercial publicity, discriminatory or defamatory content towards any group or institution, whether the content is related to COJ or not (of course, programming and COJ related entries are preferred!).

What are followers?
A follower is an user who has taken an interest in your entries. They express this by clicking the link "Follow User" in the User Account page, thus authorizing the system to publish new entries in their home page once they are logged in. An user can select to "unfollow" another user at any time without side effects.

I get the basic functionality issue, but does it have to be that way? I want to upload pictures! (follow more easily, select entries, see avatars in entries, etc.)
Yes, unfortunately it must remain at this low level of functionality for the time being. We have no resources to spend in this front right now. Also, a number of improvements you might like (user avatars, forward entries, answer entries, link highlight, one click follow, anonymous entries when logged in) are already planned for implementation as soon as possible... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Current development is now focused in bugfixing, visual appearance and contest management enhancement, during the whole of the current 3.8.x version.

¡Buenas noticias a todos!
Hace unos días liberamos la versión COJ v 3.8.0, que trajo muchos bugfixes y eliminó código sin uso actual. También introdujo algunas nuevas funcionalidades, como la posibilidad de adicionar avatares a los perfiles de usuario, algunas mejoras visuales experimentales (con la introducción de Bootstrap 3.0 + Font Awesome) y el nuevo módulo de microblogging. Hablemos un poco más de este último.

¿Por qué tan básico?
La idea del sistema de microblogging era, al principio, la de darle a cada usuario una página personal donde escribir sus pensamientos, no tan distinta de un muro de Facebook. Sin embargo, debido a problemas no técnicos con nuestro hosting, esto no fue posible. En lugar de ello nos conformamos con un enfoque más directo y breve donde un usuario tiene un límite de caracteres para escribir una idea que a los demás les interese leer. Desechamos el viejo módulo e implementamos el nuevo con bastante menos funcionalidad que lo que fue planeado al principio.

¿Dónde puedo ver las entradas?
Las entradas están ordenadas cronológicamente en la página Home del COJ y son visibles públicamente. Sin embargo, tan pronto el usuario se registra, estas entradas desaparecen. Esto sucede debido a que en la página del usuario autenticado solo se muestran las entradas de los usuarios que se están siguiendo. Al ver las entradas de los usuarios que se están siguiendo también es posible votar por las mismas a favor o en contra.

¿Cómo puedo escribir una entrada?
En la caja de texto disponible para usuarios autenticados, puede escribirse cualquier mensaje mientras no tenga carga política, publicidad comercial o contenido discriminatorio o difamatorio hacia cualquier grupo, persona o institución, tenga o no el contenido alguna relación con el COJ (por supuesto que temas de programación y el COJ son preferibles). Hay un límite de 255 caracteres por entrada.

¿Qué son los seguidores?
un seguidor es un usuario al que le han interesado las entradas de otro. Seguir es posible pinchando el vínculo "Seguir usuario" en la página del perfil de usuario. Esto autoriza al sistema a escribir nuevas entradas en la página de inicio del seguidor cuando este se autentica. Un usuario puede dejar de seguir a otro sin efectos secundarios, pinchando el vínculo correspondiente en la misma página de perfil de usuario.

Entiendo las razones para mantener la funcionalidad basica, pero, ¿No puede hacerse otra cosa?
Sí, lamentablemente debe permanecer a este bajo nivel de funcionalidad por el momento. No tenemos recursos que dedicar a este tema por el momento. Un número de mejoras que pudieran ser de interés (subir avatars, reenviar mensajes, responder mensajes, seguir usuario con un click, etc) ya han sido reconocidos y planificados para implementación lo más rápido posible... pero pueden esperar sentados.

El desarrollo actual está actualmente concentrado en bugfixing, apariencia visual y mejoramiento de la gestión de competencia durante la actual versión 3.8.x.

frankr

Re: COJ v 3.8.0 (now with microblogging)

Post by frankr » 4 years ago

Hola! Está muy bueno esta especie de "twitter" para expresar ideas. Solo una sugerencia: cuántos admins moderan los comentarios? porq he notado que se demoran en publicarlos. Por lo demás todo muy bueno y atractivo.

humbertodiaz

Re: COJ v 3.8.0 (now with microblogging)

Post by humbertodiaz » 4 years ago

The latest improvements look very nice. I wanted to list a few small bugs that I've noticed for a while. Although someone might have reported them before, I might as well, just in case:

1. The wrong worldwide rank is displayed for users with ranks 36 and above. For instance, my profile says that I'm rank 49 in the world, but the list shows me at 48. Users with rank 35 and below are not affected. This doesn't happen with a user's rank within an institution, although I'm not sure about ranks within countries, or other things like between institutions or countries.

2. The list of ranks within countries is no longer available. Noooooo...

3. When problems are sorted by score, they sometimes repeat in different pages of the search results. For instance, if I sort the problems by descending score, the exercise Walk (#1738) appears in both the first and second pages of the search results.

That's all I can remember right now. There used to be some other off-by-one errors in the profile stats but those are fixed now.

Return to “Announcements”